Well, I have a challenge for myself and other moms out there. May 5-11 is Screen Free Week. This is a national (often international) event put on by the Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood, where families, schools and other groups pledge to turn off all sorts of media for seven days and find other things to do.
To find out all the information on Screen Free Week you can go to What is Screen Free Week?
Here a small portion of what the website says about this week, " Screen-Free Week is an annual, international celebration when schools, families, and community groups pledge to spend seven days without entertainment screen media. Instead of watching TV, surfing the web, or playing video games, they read, play, think, create, get physically active, and spend more time with friends and family."
So you are on board, but don't know where to start?
Let's get prepared to keep the TVs, smart phones, tablets and computers off for a week and make it fun for everyone in the process!
Here are some tips on how to get prepared:
1. Decide as a family what "screen free" meansScreen free to one family might mean that they just keep the TV off all week, while other families might eliminate all sources of media. Talk about what is best for your family. Does someone need the computer for school work? Are text messages and email included or excluded. Decide as a family so everyone is on the same page.
2. Talk to your kids about what is going on.Prepare them, let them know that this week is going to be different, but fun! Make sure they know its not a punishment. Present it like a challenge or a game if they are discouraged. Ask them how many things they can think of to do other than TV.
3. Prepare YourselfTry and plan out your week beforehand. Try and think of some things to do. Maybe have a few coloring/activity pages already printed out when your kids start saying "I'm bored". I will be writing a blog post about activity ideas and suggestions and will link it here when I finish it.
4. Be ReasonableDon't try and do too much. We ALL want to be Supermom, but the idea of this week is to show your family that there are plenty of fun things to do besides sitting and watching TV. Pick a few fun and easy things to do during the week, but be flexible (We KNOW we can do flexible, right moms?!)
5. Have FunThis week is supposed to be fun for the whole family! Don't stress about creating the perfect week. Take some time for yourself as well. After the kids go to bed, instead of watching TV read a favorite book or have a good conversation with your spouse.
I hope you will take the pledge to be screen free this next week!
Take The Pledge
I know we will be taking lots of pictures of our adventures (to be edited AFTER screen free week is over!) and I hope to see others pictures as well! Good luck and have fun!
grace.faith.dirt on Facebook