Sunday, July 10, 2011

A New Life

"For I know the plans I have made for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and and a future" Jeremiah 29:11

In the Islamic tradition, at the moment of birth, the newborn's mother or father will whisper the Islamic call to prayer into the newborn's ear as the first thing the baby hears.Thus, the child's life begins with words of praise to Allah and a call to faith in Allah.

My husband and I love this tradition, but being Christian we changed it to fit our own faith. So when I was pregnant with my son, my husband and I decided to say a prayer into our newborn's ear the moment he was born. I spend many nights throughout my pregnancy praying and thinking about the perfect prayer to whisper into my son's ear when he was born. I wanted it to be specific to him and special to the both of us.

So, as my son was being put on my chest, as the madness of the hospital team was bustling around me and pictures were being taken, I looked down at this tiny creation that God had placed in my life and I whispered the prayer God had given me into my son's ear. As I whispered the prayer, my eyes filled with tears, and even as I write this over a year later, it sends shivers down my spine to think of that wonderful moment.

The prayer that God gave to me was perfect and it stemmed from a thought that I had throughout my entire pregnancy. How can anyone, who has had a child, deny the existence of God? It seemed like in every step of my pregnancy, I was in awe of God's wonder, majesty and power because of this little miracle growing inside of me. I think that is exactly how each of us starts life. God creates each one of us, this beautiful, unique masterpiece. He breathes life into us and says, "I have a wonderful plan for your life!"

I can tell you one thing...I grew more in my faith and grew closer to God in those nine months before my son was born than I have in the past five years. It was like God was letting me take part in a tiny part of his creation. And that tiny role that I had was so huge...it changed my life forever. If this tiny part of creation that I was able to be a part of radically changed my life so much, can you imagine how HUGE the power of God is? 

So I pray that you get to touch and understand a tiny piece of God's creation. I also pray you understand how tiny that piece is and as a result gain understanding about how GREAT the power of God really is. How AMAZING! As always, God Bless you and your family!

Until the Whole World Hears,
Katie <><

No comments:

Post a Comment